Tooth Fillings in Dayton and Beavercreek, OH
Of all of the available dental treatments, dental fillings are perhaps the most commonly performed. Most children and adults have at least one dental filling in their smile. At Gamber Family Dental, we perform dental fillings in Dayton, OH on a daily basis. We are always here if you suspect you need a filling to protect your tooth.
Types of Dental Fillings
There are actually a number of types of dental fillings created with unique types of materials. The dentist will make recommendations based on where the cavity is located, costs, and your personal preferences.
- Amalgam Fillings – Silver amalgam fillings were once the most common types of fillings. These fillings are comprised of a mixture of metal and other materials and generally have a greyish tone.
- Composite Fillings – Composite fillings, which may also be referred to as resin fillings, can be tinted to match the shade of your natural tooth. The fillings are inconspicuous, durable, and highly common in modern times.
- Gold Fillings – Gold fillings are created with actual gold. Gold is a long-lasting material that does not break down quickly. It is also hypoallergenic, which can be good for those who have issues with amalgam materials.
- Porcelain Fillings – Porcelain fillings are a less-common form of dental filling material. However, the material is highly durable, can match tooth shades, and very effective.
Reasons You May Need a Dental Filling
Dental fillings are placed if the dentist finds a point of decay in your tooth. These points of deterioration are referred to as cavities. If the decay is not removed and a filling placed, the tooth will break down further as time goes by. What starts out as just a small spot on your tooth can quickly spread to be a bigger problem. Initially, small cavities that only affect the outer layers of the tooth are not painful. However, as the decay reaches further into the tooth, sensitive nerves are exposed that can give you a toothache. With the filling material protecting the small cavity, the tooth is restored to its prior form and will not deteriorate further.
How We Take Care of Dental Fillings in Our Office
The process of getting a dental filling from a dentist in Dayton, OH is usually simple and straightforward. In our office at Gamber Family Dental, we take great care to make sure you have a comfortable experience.
- The dentist will use a localized anesthetic to numb the tooth
- The spot of decay will be carefully removed with a tiny dental drill
- The chosen filling material will be placed in the drilled opening
- The filling will be allowed to cure or harden and then smoothed to blend with the natural shape of the tooth
Find Out More from a Dentist in Dayton, OH
Acting quickly when you know you need a tooth filled can have so many benefits for your oral health and your smile. If you have teeth you believe need fillings, reach out to us at Gamber Family Dental to schedule an appointment. From general dental care to cosmetic dentistry, we’re the dentist in Dayton, OH you can count on to keep you smiling.